Total Pageviews

Thursday 26 January 2012

The man who sits by the fire...........

Downed my last drink for the night, contemplating life.
Hadn't talked to my parents for a while, nor..... to my family of five.
Sitting here by the fireplace all alone, staring at the beehive,
wondering whether she is thinking the exact same thoughts, the one whom I used to call "My Wife."




A log of wood from a tree in my backyard was crackling in the fire,
I was staring at it for far too long, and it made my eyes tire.
Though my eyes are tired now, my spirit has been long gone.
It is the end of my life's Summer, and it is the Autumn that has dawned.





The fire was slowly starting to burn away and I started to add more wood.
Added two, hoping its enough and that it would do it some good.
Didn't add any wood to my life's fire when I was young and able,
I am still paying the price of my life's mistakes, and it should be made into a fable.




The fire started to burn alright and began licking the leaves of the adjoining tree.
The insects and bugs began crowding around it, as if in a trance from which they can never be free.
The dance of the flames reminded me of a life I will never be able to forget.
The first time we danced was during our marriage, and I was behaving like a drunk hornet.




The moon came out from behind the clouds, and it was a bloody cold night,
and the sudden breeze made the flames stretch, and gave my old heart a freezing bite.
The cry of an owl somewhere in the woods reminded me that it was getting late,
I got up from my everyday position, reminded again, that time doesn't give a damn about my fate.




Had my dinner of yesterday's prawns, made by my newly appointed maid.
I ate my fill and left some for her, though how many I didn't calculate.
Went to my bed and slowly crept under the blanket, keeping some raw prawns as fish's bait,
and then stared upwards towards the ceiling and watched the blades of the fan rotate.

1 comment:

  1. your internet connection failure is restricting us from reading your new writings :(

    ReplyDelete